Race for Relevance: 5 Radical Changes for Associations
By Harrison Coerver and Mary Byers, CAE
Associations today face intense pressures that threaten their continued relevance. Gone are the days when members would automatically renew. Today individuals expect value in return for their membership. Why shouldn't they? They have a higher demand on their time and more choices on how and from whom they can obtain information due to rapid advances in technology, competition and social networking. And yet, many associations operate the same way they have for years.
Race for Relevance take a bold, no-nonsense look at the realities of today's marketplace and what it will take for associations to prosper moving forward. The authors address not only the challenges associations face but the bold actions they see as essential to a prosperous future. These include:
- Sizing your board for thoughtful, effective decision making
- Focusing on member segments you can serve well
- Zeroing in on the products and services that reflect your mission and those that you can deliver consistently and effectively
Drawing from more than 40 years of combined experience working with more than 1000 associations, the authors present worksheets, case studies, and thought-provoking questions designed to help association leaders, staff and volunteer alike, lead their association's revolution.
- The Imperative for Change
- Overhaul the Governance Model
- Overhaul Committees
- Empower the CEO and Enhance Staff
- Rationalize the Member Market
- Rationalize Programs, Services and Activities
- Bridge the Technology Gap and Build a Framework for the Future
- Strategies for Success