Welcome to the CSAE Blog

Click here to return to the CSAE Blog main feed.

Stop Talking About Video and Do It Already!

Stop Talking About Video and Do It Already!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your association sucks at video.

Well, not all of you, but certainly the vast majority. And maybe "sucks" is a bit strong, but there's definitely some room for improvement. I know this because a few months ago, I spent an entire day visiting the sites of 65 different associations and audited what they were doing in the way of video.

I am sad to report that the results were not great.

Right out of the gate, 52% of the associations I visited had no video content on their sites or their social media channels. Like zero. Nothing. Not one second of video.

Of the 48% of associations that were doing some sort of video production, only 17% of them were doing what I would call a great job of producing, editing, and sharing their videos. The other 83%? Well, let's just say there's lots of room for improvement. But that's where the good news comes in!

In 2017, it doesn't take a ton of time, effort or investment to get a solid video strategy off the ground.

 

Why Should Your Association be Doing Video?

Video is where the eyeballs are today. That's not even up for debate. And those numbers are only going to increase. Did you know that just by mentioning the word "video'" in an email subject line, you can boost open rates by 19%?

Human beings also process images and videos way faster than we process words -- about 60,000 times faster. Videos get those synapses firing!

And just think of the way you like to consume content. The reality is that many of us would prefer to click that 'play' button and watch a 60-second video than we would to read a block of text (yes, I'm aware of the irony that you're reading this in a blog post right now). Your target audiences are eager to consume your video content. If you're not producing any, you're leaving valuable engagement opportunities on the table.

 

But (Insert Excuse Here)!

I've heard all the excuses:

It's too expensive!

I don't like being on camera!

We're more comfortable with our newsletter!

We don't know where to start!

None of these is a valid excuse in 2017. The only real barrier to an effective video strategy is the executive will to make it happen. The tactical piece related to writing, producing, and sharing videos has never been easier than it is today.

 

Stop Talking About Video and Do It Already!

You don't have to be Steven Spielberg to get an effective video strategy up and running. And with a modest investment of time and dollars and a little bit of persistence, your association can see an almost immediate return on investment in terms of eyeballs, engagement, likes, comments, shares, and conversions.

If you have any specific questions about your association's video strategy, please leave them in the comments below or tweet them to me @warren_weeks on Twitter. I will respond and maybe include your question in my session at the CSAE National Conference.

See you in Newfoundland!

 


 

Warren Weeks will be speaking at CSAE National Conference 2017. When you walk out of this session, you will have all the motivation and the know-how you need to start making video a key part of your association's marketing strategy.

In less than 90 minutes, we will:

 

  1. Bust the video-related myths and excuses that many executive directors and CEOs cling to
  2. Make fun of some really bad association videos (most of you will laugh)
  3. Get inspiration from some truly excellent short videos (some of you will cry)
  4. Identify the 10 most common issues with association videos (and how to fix them),
  5. Learn how to master pre-production, production, and post-production
  6. Outline the equipment you'll need to get started
  7. Examine 'live' video platforms like Facebook Live, Periscope, Instagram Live, etc.
  8. Understand how to distribute and share your videos through social media
  9. Talk about how to tell compelling stories via video to get your audience's attention.

 

Related

Tags

Warren Weeks, Video, Marketing, Social Media

Categories

Marketing, Guest Contributor, Web / Technology

Share

Rating

0 ( 0 reviews)

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Blog
Name

Whitelist csae@csae.com to ensure subscription notices arrive in your inbox.

Spot a typo? Email steven@csae.com.

Want to Contribute?

CSAE is looking for people from the Association Community who want to share their passion, interest, and advice with their peers via CSAE content channels.

This is an opportunity to help others and increase exposure for yourself and your association.

Categories
  • Uncategorized
  • CSAE Speaks
  • Education
  • Events
  • Membership
  • Op-Ed
  • Marketing
  • Publications
  • Guest Contributor
  • Web / Technology