Call for Entries
Is your team's work worthy of recognition?
You've amazed and astonished your members with creatively conceived and brilliantly executed programs, products or services. Now it's time to extend your recognition to the national stage where the CSAE community is ready to laud and applaud you. Stand up and be recognized! Enter your project, initiative, partnership, promotion or campaign in the 2018 CSAE Awards of Distinction and allow us to celebrate your excellence!
The 2018 CSAE Awards of Distinction: A Celebration of Excellence
- The focus is on the five competency domains of the Certified Association Executive (CAE ®) program -- a long-term goal for all association professionals.
- There's a chance to celebrate the excellent leadership, structure and governance of your association; and/or the planning and execution of internal, external and integrated programs that serve your members and/or engage external stakeholders and volunteers.
- There are additional and expanded categories.
- All entries will be judged against a standard of established criteria vs. against each other. This means there can be multiple winners in any category.
- Associations or projects with small budgets are not judged against large associations or budgets. Every entry has an equal chance to be recognized with a CSAE Award of Distinction.
On this page:
Not sure if your entry qualifies? Have questions about the submission process? View the CSAE Awards Webinar for more information including everything you need to understand to submit a winning entry. View the webinar recording now!
Programs/projects that demonstrated successful results between January 2017 and the day of submission are eligible. If a long-term strategy was developed prior to January 2017 but a major milestone or measurement took place during the eligibility period, it is eligible for entry. The organization submitting must have at least one current CSAE member on staff.
The categories focus on the five competency areas of the Competencies for Association Executives and the Certified Association Executive (CAE®) program. This means there's a category for every project -- so there's no excuse for not entering your best work. And, your award submission can serve as a stepping stone for the CAE course requirements.
Category 1: Optimize Governance
- Ensure an effective and efficient governance structure
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the board and committees
- Lead development of a strategic plan
- Advise the board on issues requiring their input
Examples could include: board orientation programs, creation of a new strategic plan, managing a governance review, managing a strategic planning process with member and community engagement, an engagement process to create a new vision for an organization.
Category 2: Establish Organization Direction
- Develop a long-term financial strategy
- Develop and manage an annual operation plan
- Develop and manage an annual budget
- Develop and maintain brand and reputation
- Develop partnerships to achieve organization objectives
- Develop and manage a risk management model
Examples could include: creation of a new annual operating/business planning process, a government relations or public education campaign, management of a major external issue or crisis, launch of a new partnership.
Category 3: Manage People
- Manage human resource requirements
- Recruit and onboard staff and volunteers
- Build a positive staff and volunteer culture
- Manage individual performance
- Foster collaboration and innovation
- Manage change
Examples could include: implementation of a new staff performance review program, creation of a new learning program for association staff, launch of a new HR program that supports strategic goals, recruitment and orientation of a new executive director.
Category 4: Manage Operations
- Manage an annual financial audit or review
- Manage facilities and equipment
- Manage information and communications technology
- Develop operational processes, policies and procedures
- Manage documentation
Examples could include: research and implementation of new software system, building of a new facility, resolution of legal issue, or implementation of a new website, AMS or other technology.
Category 5: Deliver Value to Member and Stakeholder Segments
- Think beyond membership
- Identify needs of member and stakeholder segments
- Ensure appropriate mix of products and services
- Establish and support growth targets
Examples could include: a social media campaign, capital fundraising campaign, new member orientation event, launch of a training program, product/service marketing campaigns, management of educational/training programs, creation of a new program/product/service, member research projects, member segmentation strategies/structures.
Note: Entrants may submit multiple entries in the same category and/or across multiple categories provided that the work plan is tailored to fit the category description. You may submit as many entries as you wish.
- Think of all the great projects you've successfully completed within the eligible time frame. Pick the best ones that might be unique, and/or include robust measurement of your success. Or, think about ongoing programs with a real track record, or initiatives other associations can learn from, or ones you're most proud of.
- Carefully review and prepare the 2018 CSAE Awards of Distinction Application Requirements.
- Complete the work plan -- keep it to four typed pages -- convert it to a PDF. View the sample work plan.
- Pull together digital versions of your supplemental materials that best showcase the project and are proof-points for your work plan. Check your work against the judging criteria.
- Submit the work plan, supplemental materials, plus the 'victory' materials online before July 16, 2018. Please do not mail any materials.
If you're a member with your CAE certification and/or a senior member looking to give back to your profession and association, why not become an evaluator for this new awards program? It's a chance to network with other senior members, to look behind-the-scenes at work of your colleagues, and to share your wisdom and experience to elevate the work of your colleagues. Interested individuals should contact email@example.com to find out more.